Different types of surgical blades and its uses
Surgical blades also called scalpels are widely used for cutting skin and tissues during surgeries. They are razor sharp and are available in a variety of shapes, sizes, and designs that are chosen specifically for the procedure. Surgical blades comprise disposable scalpel blades and reusable handles that are generally sold separately. The disposable scalpel blades are required to be used one time only and then disposed of properly. The most common type of scalpel blades used in surgical procedures is replaceable and non-attached. There is a key-like slot at the angled base on this type of blade that allows a firm lock of the scalpel blade with the scalpel handle.
Surgeons and medical practitioners can choose from a variety of surgical blades as they come in a wide range of collections. Edge, slot, and spine are the distinguishing factors of a surgical blade. Some of the most commonly used blades are:
- Number 10 blade- comprises of traditional blade shape used for cutting soft tissues and making large incisions with its large curved cutting edge
- Number 11 blade- a triangular-shaped blade that is elongated and has a sharp tip. It is greatly used for making small cuts in shallow recessed sites and stab incisions
- Number 12 blade- most commonly used as a suture cutter. It is small in size and comprises the crescent-shaped pointed blade
- Number 15 blade- ideally used for making sharp and small cuts with precision. This blade has a small and curved cutting edge.
- Number 22 blade- it is generally preferable when there is a need to make large incisions on thick skin. It is generally a larger version of blade 10 having an unsharpened and flat back edge with a curved cutting edge
- Number 24 blade- generally used in autopsy procedures and general surgery. It has a semi-circular shape and is used for making long incisions
Scalpel blades are usually made up of stainless steel, tempered steel, or high carbon steel. The fine material makes this tool robust and reliable.
Surgical blades are immensely used during surgical procedures and are available in different variations. We have a wide range of disposable scalpels, surgical blades, and blade handles. Our team has decades of experience with medical equipment and supplies. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding supplies and the right equipment.