Mayo scissors hold prime importance in surgical procedures. They are used for dissecting tissues near the body surfaces or in deeper surgical sites. They are distinguished from other types of surgical scissors because of their unique feature of having semi-blunt ends. To accommodate various surgical scenarios, these scissors have extra-long standard shafts. They are also available in Super cut design that is relatively more lightweight and delicate as compared to standard Mayo scissors. The tips are generally closed when the Mayo scissors are placed in the tissue during a surgical procedure. However, these tips are opened after grasping the tissue so that the tissue can be spread out during the process of dissection.
There are two major variations available for Mayo scissors:
- Straight blade Mayo scissors- also referred to as suture scissors. These are widely used for cutting sutures, fascia, and body tissues near the wound surface.
- Curved blade Mayo scissors- are mostly used for deeper penetration and tissue dissection in the surgical site. The curved blades are ideally used to cut thick tissues that are mainly found in the breast, muscles, foot, and uterus.
- They are made up of high-grade German stainless steel
- Some types of Mayo scissors also have tungsten carbide inserts that increase the longevity and sharpness of the product
- Different designs are available for both straight and curved variations that have different lengths ranging from 5 to 9 inches
- To allow better identification to the surgeons, they are also available in color-coated variations
- Due to their high-quality material, they can be sterilized and reused for multiple surgeries
- The semi-blunt ends make them suitable for a vast number of surgeries
- The construction of Mayo scissors is extremely durable
Mayo scissors are made up of the best quality German stainless steel which makes this instrument durable. Also, this instrument is robust, corrosion-free, and rust-free due to its fine-quality material.
Mayo scissors are a basic surgical instrument that is used in a majority of surgical procedures due to their unique features and practicality. We at Acheron instruments provide the best quality products at very reasonable rates. Our products are crafted with special care and advanced technology that are durable and have a longer life span. Don't forget to check out our exclusive collection of Mayo scissors on our website.