Importance of Needle holders in surgical procedures
Needle holders are also named needle drivers or needle forceps. These specialized forceps typically comprise jaws and handles with hinged joints. Most of the needle holders have ring handles and a ratchet locking mechanism. The jaws of needle holders are generally shorter in length as compared to their handles. These are available in a variety of sizes and designs and are chosen based on the user's requirements. Some of the designs have tungsten-carbide inserts on the tips of the instrument.
There are different varieties of needle holders available in various sizes, shapes and designs that are chosen according to particular surgery requirements. These are available in different patterns too including straight, curved, angled patterns and some also have tungsten carbide inserts. Some of the most commonly used needle holders include:
Mathieu Needle Holder
Mayo Hegar Needle Holder
Halsey Needle Holder
Heaney Needle Holder
DeBakey Needle Holder
Castroviejo Needle Holder
Derf Needle Holder
Crile Needle Holder
Tungsten Carbide Needle Holder
A needle holder is used by surgeons for suturing purposes during surgical operations such as ligation, wound closure, and re-anastomosis. It is used by surgeons to have a firm grip on the needle by clamping it precisely, getting maximum hold, and pushing the needle with a fine grip.
Characteristics and uses
· Allows surgeons to have a firm grip over the needle used for suturing purposes
· Needle holders have specialized devices to keep the needle in place during surgeries and prevent it from slipping.
· Allows surgeons and doctors to have better access to surgical sites that are difficult to reach
· Protects surgeons/doctors from pricking their fingers or hands
· Needle holders containing tungsten carbide inserts have a longer life span and are generally more durable as compared to the standard stainless steel needle holder.
Care and handling
Needle holders are delicate instruments that require special care and handling.
· There must be strict avoidance of mechanical deformation of the needle.
· The needle holder has to be changed if it gets blunt.
· They should only be used for stapling and holding needles and for no other purpose
· They must be properly cleaned and sterilized before using
•It is important to inspect, clean, and sterilize Babcock tissue forceps before first use and every re-use.
•While reprocessing the instruments, it is important to handle them with care wearing proper personal equipment gear.
•Do not use disinfection agents containing mercury, chloride, active chlorine, iodide, iodine, or bromine as they may damage the instrument.
•Do not soak your instruments in hot water, disinfectants, antiseptics, or alcohol for longer than 2 hours to avoid damaging them.
•Do not use abrasive detergents, wire brushes or pipe cleaners, steel wool, etc.
•Do not use products with high alkaline and high acidic potency for disinfection.
These surgical instruments are manufactured in high-grade German stainless steel material which makes these tools robust, durable, and rust-free. These tools can be sterilized and are lightweight. The high-quality material makes these tools corrosion-resistant and enhances their efficiency.
Needle holders are essential tools that are an integral part of various surgical scenarios. These instruments make the surgical procedure fatigue-free for the surgeons and assist them in performing these procedures efficiently.
We at Acheron instruments provide the best quality needle holders in different sizes, shapes, and designs. Our surgical instruments are manufactured in high-grade German stainless steel material that lasts longer in your operating rooms and makes your work hassle-free. Don’t forget to check our website to explore our exclusive range of surgical tools at reasonable prices.